Friday, December 23, 2011

It's Down To The Wire--No More Unemployment and Still Unemployed

I've spent the last nearly two years job hunting.  At 58 it isn't easy.  And I'm not a nurse, teacher or computer whiz.  No, I'm just me.  A sometime editor, researcher, and for the last nearly two years, a blogger when I'm not job hunting.  I still can't believe it's happening to ME.  Where have I heard that before? 

Unfortunately I'm not alone.  I hear it more and more often.  I overheard someone the other day deciding to be a phone sex operator.  In order to eat.  The choices this economy is forcing people into making are horrible.  And discouraging.  When even educated people can't get a job, what chance do people who are undereducated have?

It's a stressful holiday this year at my house.  I'm praying for a better New Year.  One that includes employment.  Gainful employment.   Maybe with benefits? 

Our government can bail out banks and automakers but it doesn't have work for me?  I mean I'm willing to work.  I'm just older.  Not ancient...just over fifty.  I never thought I'd be in this situation.   I've worked hard.  I've followed all the rules.  Just like thousands of other unemployed workers in the United States.

The last three jobs I've had I was thrilled because they were jobs I could have done forever.  I'm not one of those people who want to retire.  But they were jobs that were phased out.  No more work.  Laid off.  Departments closed. But now... now I'm in a bind.  I HAVE to have a job.  I have to pay my bills.  So if anyone out there is hiring...you know where to find me.  Monster.com, Career Builder, Craigslist...etc. etc. etc. or blogging when I'm too discouraged to job hunt anymore. 

But like most of us, I'll smile on Christmas Day, one day without job hunting eight hours a day.  There won't be many new jobs posted on Christmas anyway.  But the day after I'm back to the grind of hunting, emailing, attaching resumes and writing cover letters.  My husband wonders why I can't sleep at night?  I feel like a hamster in a wheel.  There's no end.  No way out.  Just round and round.  So I'm going to have a Merry, if reduced Christmas this year.  And next year I WILL HAVE A JOB! I have to keep thinking POSITIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment